Find IV fluid charting calculator here.
- Give electrolyte free IV fluid (Dextrose 10%) for the first 48 hours.
- Start sodium and potassium containing IV fluid (Isolyte P 10%) after 48 hours.
- If Isolyte P 10% is not available, you can add required sodium and potassium in Dextrose 10% as follows:
- Adding 3 mL of 3% saline (512 mEq/L) in every 50 mL Dextrose 10% gives 30 mEq/L of sodium which is normally required.
- Adding 0.5 mL of Injection Potassium Chloride (2 mEq/mL) in every 50 mL Dextrose 10% gives 20 mEq/L of potassium which is normally required.
- Start amino acid solution from the first day.
- Build enteral nutrition as early as possible.